Pages

Friday, June 17, 2016

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2016 WEEK 22: JOHN DEAN OF DEDHAM, MA. PT2

Here's the transcription of my 8x great grandfather John Dean's will that was done by
Marion D. Cooper in her DESCENDANTS OF JOHN DEAN OF DEDHAM, MASS. :


THE WILL OF JOHN DEAN
In the name of God, Amen
Dedham Septemter the 30, 1727 I John Dean of the Town of
Dedham of the County of Suffolk within His Majesties Pro-
vince of the Massachusets Bay in New England Yoeman Having
been Some time thinking of Setling my Estate and heing now
Weak and infirm of Body But of a disposing mind am come to
a full determination to doe it as is hereafter expresed
therefore doe make & Ordain this my Last Will and Testament
That is to say Principally & First of all I Give my Soul in-
to the Hands of God that Gave it Hoping for Salvation
through the Merits of my Saviour Jesus Christ and my Body I
Recommend to the Earth to be Buried in Decent manner att the
descresshion of my Executors Beleving it Shall he Raised
again at the General Resurection by the Mighty Power of God —
And as Touching such wordly Estate wherewith it hath pleas-
ed God to Bless me in this Life I Give demise and dispose of
the same in following manner and form.

That is to say I Will and Ordaine that my Just Debts & Fun-
eral Charges be duly & Timely paied out of my Estate

Imprimus I Give and Bequeath to my Son John Dean toe what he
hath already had one Fifth part of all my stock and House-
hold Stuff (not otherwais particularly disposed of) to Him
and His Heirs for ever.

Item I Give and Bequeath to to my Son Ebenezer Dean toe what
he hath already had one Fifth part of all my Stock and
Household Stuff (not otherwais perticularly disposed of) to
Him and his Heirs forever.

Item I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Sary Harden one
fifth part of all my Stock and household Stuff (to what shee
hath already had) not otherwise perticularly disposed of to
her & her Heirs or Representitive forever.

Item I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Elizabeth Macknab
toe what She hath already had one fifth part of all my Stock
& Household Stuff (not otherwise perticularly disposed of)
to her & her Heirs or Representitive forever.

Item I Give and Bequeath to my Daughter Abigail Fairbanks
toe what She hath already had one fifth part of all my Stock
& Household Stuff (not otherwies perticularly disposed of)
to her her Heirs or Representitive forever.

Item I Give & Bequeath to my Gran daughter Sary Dean Daughter
of Joseph Dean upon Condition that She Lives with me as long
as I live) my Iron Pot and Citle & a pare of Sheets My bed
in the Chamber & my Fryingpan.

Item I Give & Bequeath to my Son Jeremiah Dean (In Consid-
ering that he has lived with me & been helpfull toe me &
done for me for this Severall Years & what he may still doe
for me) to Him And his Heirs forever my House my hom Lots
on both Sides the way with all the Rights Profits Priviliges
and Apurtenances thereuntoe belonging. And further I Give
& Bequeath to him my Carpenter & Husbandry Tooles & Utensils
& my part in the Oxen & Medow att Purgitory

And I Doe Make Constitute And Ordain My Two Sons John and
Jeremiah to be the Executors of this my Last Will & Testa-
ment & 1 Doe hereby utterly disalow Revoke & Disanull all
and every other & all other Wills Testaments & Bequests
Legacies & Executors by me any otherwaies before named.
Ratifying & Confirming this and noe other to be my last will
& Testament,

And. now to all you My Children I Doe In the Name of God and
with the Compasshion & Authority of a father Exhort & Charge
you that you be contented & satisfied with this my disposall
& cary it one towards another with the affections & cores-
pondence of Christians & Brethren & Sisters & Live in Love
and Peace & the God of Love & Peace shall be with you.
I Recomend you to God & the word of his Grace which is able
to Build you up & give you an Inheritance amongst them that
are Sanctified Amen

John Dean

Signed, Sealed, & Pronounced,
Published, & Declared by the
said John Dean, as his Last Will
& Testament, in ye presence of
us. the Subscribers-

John Metcalfe
John Metcalfe Jr
James Richards Jr
Desember 4, I727

The said John Dean Did in Addition to his will Declare be-
fore these witnesses that Whereas he had don considerably
for his son Joseph Deceased in assisting him in purchasing
and building and other ways that his will further was that
the Children of his said Son Joseph should have Six pounds
to be paid to them equally divided Amongst them by my son
Jeremiah out of what I have given him.


John Metcalfe
John Metcalfe Jr
James Richards Jr



I was struck by that last paragraph. Was John Dean afraid that his children would
squabble over their inheritance? Or had there already been tension among them
before his death?

No comments: