Pages

Wednesday, March 05, 2014

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS #9: LUKE PERKINS

Fellow geneablogger Amy Johnson Crow of No Story Too Small has issued the 52
Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge. Basically, we have to post something every week
on a different ancestor, whether a story, picture, or research problem. This week my
subject is 7x great grandfather Luke Perkins.


I do daily posts on Facebook about births, deaths, and marriages  of ancestors on
that date. Whenever I do that I double check to see if the event is sourced in my
database and if it isn't, to confirm my information. Today I was trying to confirm
an unsourced marriage  date for John Perkins and Ablgail Williams without any
success. What was puzzling me was that I had John Perkins and Abigail in my
database but no children. Why were they even there in the first place?

 I posted about my frustration on Facebook. And that led to a discussion
with fellow geneablogger  Midge Frazel about our Perkins lines, and it turns out
we are cousins. I mentioned that the furthest back I had gotten so far on my
Perkins line was Luke Perkins and his wife Martha Conant, and Midge kindly has
shared some information that pushed that further back another two generations
to Abraham Perkins and his wife Mary. Googling Luke Perkin's name today I found this:

(III) Luke (2), son of Luke (1) Perkins, was born March 18, 1667. He lived in Marblehead, Beverly, Wenham, Ipswich, 1704, and Plympton, and recorded on the 
town records of all these places are his marriage and the births of his children. On November 24, 1704, he and his wife, of Ipswich, sold John Filmore a house and barn
with about two acres of land on the road from Wenham to Beverly near Wenham Pond 
in Beverly. About November, 1714, he moved to Plympton. His uncle, David Perkins,
of Bridgewater, for love and good-will, gave him all his land in Abington. Luke 
Perkins was a blacksmith by trade. He died in Plympton, December 27, 1748, aged eighty-two years. He married, May 31, 1688, Martha, daughter of Lot and Elizabeth (Walton) Conant; Elizabeth Walton was daughter of Rev. William Walton, of 
Marblehead. The marriage was recorded in Salem and Topsfield. Martha (Conant) Perkins, was born at Beverly, August 15, 1664, and she owned the covenant for 
herself and children, July 30, 1691. She died January 2, 1754, aged eighty-nine years. Children: John, born at Marblehead, April 5, 1689; Martha, September 19, 1691, 
died young; Hannah, March 12, 1693; Luke, mentioned below; Mark, baptized in 
Beverly, April 30, 1699; Josiah, born November 9, 1701, in Beverly; Martha, August 
14, 1707, in Beverly.
- William Richard Cutter, New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial: A Record
of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding
of a Nation, Volume 2 (Google eBook) 
(Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1914 ) p824.

A few things: I've been to the Hillcrest Cemetery in Plympton and I may have a shot of Luke Perkin's headstone. I'll check later. Also, I've seen several headstones over at the
Mt. Vernon Cemetery here in Abington and wondered if they were related to me. Seeing the mention of David Perkins owning land here it's quite possible they are. I'll have to
get a closer look at them once there's less snow on the ground. And Luke is yet another
of my ancestors who worked as a blacksmith!

I'll be posting more on the Perkins family after I've done a bit more research.

No comments: