Pages

Saturday, March 08, 2014

A WEEK WITHOUT ANCESTRY.COM CHALLENGE: A CLARIFICATION AND AN ADDENDUM.

First I need  to clear something up.  The "A Week Without Ancestry.com Challenge"
blogpost is not a call for a week long boycott of Ancestry. It's exactly what the title
says, a challenge to go a week without using it.  If you decide to take part, you can
do it at any time convenient to you. I'll be doing it next week starting Sunday.

Nor am I removing my family tree from Ancestry. There's information on it that I share with cousins and removing the tree won't accomplish that. So when my subscription
runs out on March 24th I'll still be adding information but I will not be researching
for it on Ancestry.com.

Now for the addendum. In my discussions on Facebook about all this I got a great
suggestion from Janice Webster Brown of the Cow Hampshire blog. If you take part
in the challenge, write a post for your blog about the research sites you used as an alternative to Ancestry.com. and tell us what you thought about them.  You'd be
helping other genealogists discover sites they might not know are out there. Again,
no particular time to do the challenge, and no deadline on posting your article.
If you can't do a whole week of going without Ancestry.com, try one day, or two.

I'll be interested to see what people come up with on this.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I didn't know you could keep your tree and even add to it if you let your ancestry.com membership lapse. I'll be interested to see if I get more done while not checking ancestry this week.